Stress – Relaxation – A coin with two sides
Stress is a catchword, which one gets to hear more and more often. However, it is not something new, but, on the contrary, something very old. It is, one in our genes anchored program, which is designed to work on Dangerous situations to react and follows a certain pattern.
The Counterprogram to it is called – Relaxation. These two belong together – like a coin with two sides.
The physiologist Prof. Dr. Hans Selye defined the term stress for medicine as heavy physical and/or psychological load, to which our body reacts in a typical way. stress sets in our body a natural and necessary adaptation mechanism in motion.
It ensures coping with dangerous situations. If danger threatens reflexively attack and / or escape mechanism activated. It mobilizes great energies, stimulus and signals from outside or thoughts and feelings from inside trigger the chain reaction in humans.
All sensory organs are based on the perceptions of further dangerous situations the attention is fully concentrated on the evaluation and management of the dangerous situation. The production and release of stress hormones. This is followed by the „Mobilization“ of the body
- pulse rate, blood pressure and breathing rate increase,
- The liver releases glucose as an energy supplier.
- The coagulability of the blood increases,
- the blood flow to the skin and digestive organs is reduced,
- the muscles tense,
- the nervous system is put into a state of excitement,
- Cortisol is increasingly produced and reduces the body’s defenses in the medium term.
These reactions shared Prof. Dr. Hans Selye into three aspects:
- alarm reactionthe startle reaction occurs, which reduces the resistance for a short time, then the counter-reaction, which activates in readiness for flight or attack.
- ResistanceThe body adapts to the dangerous situation. Attack or flight- there are sufficient forces for both. After that the body returns to normal.
- ExhaustionIf the stress stimulus lasts too long, under- or overstrains the person, then the adaptation and endurance mechanisms break down.
The stress symptoms show up in the psyche, heart and circulation, muscles, respiration, digestion, vegetative system and the immune system.
Since we live in a Civilization „self-discipline“ life we can hardly run away or fight and have to pause. The alarmed body has hardly the possibility of React. The pent-up energies, if they remain unused in the long run, are often directed against their own bodies. Short-term stress reactions the organism absorbs the effects of the state of alarm. At Permanent alarm it remains under high tension. We feel overwhelmed and are nervous.
In chronically stressed people, one can observe an increase in certain parameters such as z. B. determine the cortisol. However, it is easier to question whether someone has sleep disorders (difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep).
The stress factors and their evaluation is quite different. Also joyful events belong to the stressors. One sees negative and positive events force and to the adaptation to the situation. They trigger stress reactions in the body, which must be compensated for.
The Relaxation is now the Counter program to stress, the necessary Rest to regenerate. In many cultures, rest and relaxation an integral part. However, with us the Relaxation is becoming less and less important and comes so too short. Profit and power, pressure to perform and recognition through material goods are in the foreground.
At Relaxation one understands the recovery of the body, but also Soul must be able to recover and also needs time to regenerate. So it means not only to sleep and rest but also the soul wants to „dangle“ can.
The Types of relaxation are depending on type and situation differently, just as the stressors are different for each person. One must be prepared for the Relaxation time and again a Balance produce between the two programs
Examples of how to relax are many. If someone spends the whole day at the desk he will recover more during a walk. If someone is on his feet the whole day a hot bath will be more pleasant. Further it depends still on whether someone is sporty or rather unsporty.
In general it can be said that can balance activity with passivity and vice versa.
relaxation dampens and calms down the whole system, but it occurs not automatic but takes time and must be brought about voluntarily, whereby the following points must be observed:
- Relaxation is an innate, always available bio-program of the body, which basically can be activated with a minimum of knowledge.
- Relaxation cannot be forced, not even by sophisticated high-tech devices. It is important not to ignore the signals of the stressed body, but to be aware of them.
- Relaxation needs time, practice and above all regularity. You can not store up. Once on vacation „refuel“ is not enough, this tank is soon empty again.
- Relaxation is individual and very personal. The search for a suitable method of relaxation must not become a problem and degenerate into stress.
It is often difficult to interpret the signals of the body correctly, and often we try to calm the body with pseudo-relaxation such as alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, drugs and rigid fitness and health programs. In the peace lies the strength, this is an old Wisdom which one should take to heart. Relaxation begins in the Head.
There is no point in going through all the relaxation methods. It is important to get to know some and to learn the suitable one and to integrate it into your daily life to be incorporated into everyday life. The most suitable technique is of no use if you do not use it.
During choice one should pay attention to some criteria like Time required, cost, relaxation through rest or activity, sporty type, non-athletic type, solo or with partner.
The prerequisite for relaxation is that you affirm, because it can be not force. Furthermore it cannot your problems – be it the partner, colleagues, spine, … or much more, do not release. You also have to do it yourself. It can however prepare the way, help. It replaces not a therapy. Problems of whatever kind belong clarified. However, it can be Therapy support be used.
The Ability was put into the cradle of all of us, we only have them suppressed and the different relaxation methods help your To give importance to which you are entitled.
Relaxation means reflection on yourself. It is an experience that is worthwhile and helps us to cope better with everyday life.
Some relaxation methods are still mentioned here like z. B. Autogenic training, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, soft fitness, Tai Chi, Yoga, Do in, … .